The role of the police is to protect us by enforcing our laws; they play a very important role in keeping society safe for everyone. But police officers are human, too, and can make mistakes; they can let their emotions take over and lose perspective or judgement just like the rest of us can. When that happens, people can get hurt or wrongly arrested. People can also feel very threatened, frightened and distressed at being treated badly by those who are there to protect us.
Police can misuse their power or go beyond ‘fair force’ by being violent, using CS gas or Taser guns inappropriately or using their power of arrest when they shouldn’t.
If you have suffered wrongful arrest, or been injured as a result of how you have been treated by the police, you could make a claim for compensation.
How We Can Help You
Whether you have been injured or subject to other negligence at the hands of the police, we can help you to make a complaint and claim compensation for your injuries or distress.
“They kept us well informed and made us feel part of the process. They made me feel like they knew what they were doing. I had complete confidence in them.” Brian, London
Read more client testimonials
Many of our clients have been wrongfully arrested or injured by the police during peaceful protests. Even if you have been injured during a genuine arrest, if the police have acted unreasonably then you could still make a claim for compensation.
If you have been harmed (psychologically or physically) as a result of the actions of the police, then you could be entitled to compensation. We have a team of dedicated solicitors who specialise in helping clients to make compensation claims against the police. We have worked for clients have:
- Been wrongfully arrested
- Been injured due to excessive use of force
- Had their rights violated by the police
- Been subject to the misuse of ‘stop and search’ procedures
Our Track Record In Police Claims
Regardless of the reason you need help we have a skilled and experienced team who will offer you expert support and advice throughout your claim.
Some examples of our work include:
- Challenging police policies and practices
- Making successful compensation claims against virtually every major police force in England and Wales
- Acting for protestors including animal welfare and environmental campaigners
- Acting in several high-profile group action cases, for example Twyford Down, Newbury, Oxford Lab and others
We are members of the Police Lawyers Action Group (PALG) and recognised for our work in the field in the Chambers and Partners guide to the legal profession.
Contact Us To Discuss Making A Claim Against The Police
If you have been injured by the police or wrongfully arrested, contact us online or call us on 0800 056 4110 for free advice about making a claim.
“committed to getting the best outcome for its clients”
Legal 500 2011
"The highly talented team effectively handles the full range of personal injury claims and has recently settled a significant number of multimillion-pound claims."
Chambers & Partners 2012
Claims Against the Police
- Taser Gun Injury Claims
- We have many years’ experience taking action against the police for malpractice in several areas, including claims that result from taser injuries. Many of our clients were involved in high-profile legal challenges to their treatment by the police and authorities.
- Taser Gun Injury Claims
The above information relates to the law in England and Wales.
* Subject to entering into a ‘No Win No Fee’ agreement in conjunction with our Allianz Litigate insurance policy and complying with your responsibilities under its terms.
All Scottish cases will be handled by the Scottish law firm with which we are associated, Irwin Mitchell Scotland LLP. The law relating to funding is different in Scotland and you will receive separate advice about what that means as well as a separate funding agreement.