Claims Against The Police | Mistreatment Compensation | Irwin Mitchell

The role of the police is to protect us by enforcing our laws; they play a very important role in keeping society safe for everyone.  But police officers are human, too, and can make mistakes; they can let their emotions take over and lose perspective or judgement just like the rest of us can.  When that happens, people can get hurt or wrongly arrested.  People can also feel very threatened, frightened and distressed at being treated badly by those who are there to protect us.

Police can misuse their power or go beyond ‘fair force’ by being violent, using CS gas or Taser guns inappropriately or using their power of arrest when they shouldn’t.

If you have suffered wrongful arrest, or been injured as a result of how you have been treated by the police, you could make a claim for compensation.

Get in touch with our team of experts todayContact us

How We Can Help You

Whether you have been injured or subject to other negligence at the hands of the police, we can help you to make a complaint and claim compensation for your injuries or distress. 

“They kept us well informed and made us feel part of the process. They made me feel like they knew what they were doing. I had complete confidence in them.” Brian, London
Read more client testimonials

Many of our clients have been wrongfully arrested or injured by the police during peaceful protests.  Even if you have been injured during a genuine arrest, if the police have acted unreasonably then you could still make a claim for compensation. 

If you have been harmed (psychologically or physically) as a result of the actions of the police, then you could be entitled to compensation. We have a team of dedicated solicitors who specialise in helping clients to make compensation claims against the police. We have worked for clients have:

  • Been wrongfully arrested
  • Been injured due to excessive use of force
  • Had their rights violated by the police
  • Been subject to the misuse of ‘stop and search’ procedures

Our Track Record In Police Claims

Regardless of the reason you need help we have a skilled and experienced team who will offer you expert support and advice throughout your claim.

Some examples of our work include:

  • Challenging police policies and practices
  • Making successful compensation claims against virtually every major police force in England and Wales
  • Acting for protestors including animal welfare and environmental campaigners
  • Acting in several high-profile group action cases, for example Twyford Down, Newbury, Oxford Lab and others

We are members of the Police Lawyers Action Group (PALG) and recognised for our work in the field in the Chambers and Partners guide to the legal profession.

Contact Us To Discuss Making A Claim Against The Police

If you have been injured by the police or wrongfully arrested, contact us online or call us on 0800 056 4110 for free advice about making a claim.


Legal 500

“Leading player" Irwin Mitchell "handles every case thoroughly and compassionately."

Legal 500 2015

Chambers 2016 

"They are excellent, very knowledgeable and considerate to their clients, in whom they take a personal interest."

Chambers & Partners 2016

Simply complete the form below and one of our experts will get back to you.


Claims Against the Police

  • Taser Gun Injury Claims
    We have many years’ experience taking action against the police for malpractice in several areas, including claims that result from taser injuries. Many of our clients were involved in high-profile legal challenges to their treatment by the police and authorities.

The above information relates to the law in England and Wales.

* Subject to entering into a ‘No Win No Fee’ agreement in conjunction with our Allianz Litigate insurance policy and complying with your responsibilities under its terms.

Please note that we do not deal with Scottish police damages cases. Contact the Scottish Law Society on 0131 2267411 who can advise on the options available to you.

Call our experts FREE on:

0800 056 4110

Simply complete the form below and one of our experts will get back to you.