Children And Teachers Taken To Hospital After Falling Ill At Public Pool

Fire Service Called After Reports Of Bleach Spilled In Pool Pump Room

17.05.2016

Hayley Court, Press Officer | 0114 274 4255

A group of school children and two teachers have been taken to hospital after a suspected chemical leak at a Sheffield sports centre.

The eight youngsters and their teachers were taken to hospital with “sickness” shortly after a swimming lesson at Springs Leisure Centre on East Bank Road yesterday morning.

Fire fighters and paramedics were called out to the centre at Arbourthorne to deal with a spillage of bleach in the swimming pool pump room.

The spillage is thought to have happened while maintenance work was being carried out, with fire crews called as a precaution to assist with the clean-up.

An investigation has been carried out at the centre which was closed as a result.

Expert Opinion
"The reports of a leak of bleach in the pump room at Springs Leisure Centre are troubling, especially as a number of children who had been swimming in the pool are thought to have been affected.

"It is good to see that the authorities have worked quickly to resolve the problem. However, it is vital that lessons are learnt from this to avoid something like this happening in the future.”
Amandeep Dhillon, Partner

Steve Brailey chief executive of Sheffield City Trust group, which operates various leisure centres through Sheffield International Venues, told the BBC yesterday that an internal inquiry was carried out and the equipment had been repaired.

"We would like to pass on our best wishes to the children and teachers affected by the incident," he said.

"All areas of Springs Leisure Centre will reopen to the public as normal from 7am tomorrow morning.

"We have identified the problem which was caused by a reaction of chemicals in the plant room. The equipment repair has been completed.

"We have been liaising with Environmental Health Services throughout the day."