Man Suffered Serious Injuries After Falling Four Metres From A Roof At Work

HSE Fine Clive Thompson Installation £10,000 For Serious Safety Failings


A young worker who suffered serious injuries after a roof collapsed beneath him at work has spoken out for the first time after a Health and Safety Executive (HSE) investigation found serious safety failings at the company.

Josh Perry, from Lichfield in Staffordshire worked as a labourer at Clive Thompson Installation Ltd for two years, and on 22 January 2014, Josh and a colleague were assessing a partially completed roof of a spray booth to fit an extractor fan when the roof collapsed and they fell four metres to the ground.

The 21-year-old suffered multiple fractures to his spine and ankle and extensive soft tissue damage to other parts of his body including nerve damage to his right leg and foot. He has had several operations and bone grafts since the accident and had to wear a full body spinal cast for 16 weeks.

Josh instructed specialist serious injury lawyers at Irwin Mitchell to investigate his accident and now the law firm has secured an admission of liability from Clive Thompson Installations Ltd and now they are working towards securing him vital funds to help with his ongoing recovery and rehabilitation.

At a hearing at Perth Sheriff Court last week (26th May), it was revealed that Clive Thompson Installation Ltd did not provide their employees with suitable and sufficient risk assessments for the work they were due to carry out. They also failed to visit the site before carrying out the work they were unaware of any site specific hazards and could not therefore provide instruction on where to attach a fall protection harness.

An investigation by the HSE found that although Clive Thompson Installation Ltd were aware that the roofs of the booths were fragile and that fitting extractor fans required employees to cross the roof, no safe system of work was put in place. The company also failed to provide suitable training for their employees for working on fragile roofs.

Clive Thompson Installation Ltd of Tamworth Road, Lichfield, Staffordshire, was fined £10,000 after pleading guilty to breaching Section 2 of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974.

Expert Opinion
“Josh has been left devastated by his injuries and he still faces month of painful surgeries and rehabilitation to help with his recovery.

“Falls from height are among the most common causes of serious injury at work, but time and time again we see cases where employers fail to take basic steps to protect workers from harm.

“We welcome the HSE prosecution and hope that lessons are learnt by Clive Thompson Installations Ltd. The case should also act as a warning to all those in the construction industry of the importance of protecting workers to prevent anyone else from being put through the same suffering as Josh.

“We will now continue to work with his former employers to ensure he has access to the treatment and rehabilitation he needs, such as physiotherapy, as well as to give him financial security.”
Laura Bailey, Solicitor

Josh said: “I have struggled to come to terms with the accident and my injuries – I have been through so many painful operations to help with my recovery and still face further treatment in the future.

“The extent of the damage to my spine and ankle has severely impacted my life – I really struggle with my mobility and in a huge amount of pain on a daily basis. If it is cold my ankle aches constantly and I cannot kneel down. I suffer from pins and needles regularly and my ankle is not stable and often gives way. I can no longer do the things I enjoy such as going to the gym, running or playing football.

“I have not been able to return to work since which I have found incredibly frustrating as I really enjoy my job. I am focusing all my time and energy of my recovery and hope to go get back to work as soon as I can.

“I am very pleased with the result of the HSE hearing and hope it raises awareness amongst companies of the dangers in the workplace and to make sure their employees safety in a priority at all times.”