Former Dudley Bricklayer Died After Being Exposed To Deadly Asbestos

Industrial Illness Lawyers Instructed To Help Family In Quest For Answers


The family of a former bricklayer who died of an asbestos-related cancer is appealing to his former colleagues to help find answers about where he was exposed to the deadly dust.

Leslie Siviter, 82, originally from Quarry Bank but later of Halesowen, was diagnosed with mesothelioma, a cancer in the lining of the lungs, in August 2011 after suffering from breathing difficulties. He passed away in November 2011 leaving his family devastated.

Leslie’s family has now instructed asbestos-related disease experts at Irwin Mitchell to help find answers as to when and where Leslie was exposed to the deadly dust. Together they are appealing to his ex- colleagues to get in touch as they may hold vital evidence about the presence of asbestos and working conditions throughout his work history.

During his career as a bricklayer, Leslie worked for several companies across the West Midlands from 1961 to the early 1990s including:

• Frank Gadd – 1961 – 1966, 1967 - 1968
• A & J Mucklow & Co Limited – 1966 – 1967
• Bruce Tipper Ltd – 1968 – 1979
• And for Dudley Council

When working as a bricklayer, Leslie would be responsible for removing asbestos sheets from the buildings where he was working, but he was not given any protective clothing or warned by his employers about the dangers of working with asbestos.

Expert Opinion
Leslie’s family are devastated to have lost him in such tragic circumstances and understandably they want answers as to how this could happen and whether more could have been done to protect him from being exposed to asbestos.

“We’re keen to speak to anybody who worked with Leslie during his career as a bricklayer at any of the companies listed as we believe they may hold vital evidence about the presence of asbestos and the working conditions he faced.

“Asbestos cases can be complex and it is important that they are handled by specialist lawyers. We work with people on a daily basis who have been exposed to asbestos decades ago through no fault of their own and without being provided with the appropriate protection.

“Mesothelioma is an industrial illness for which there is sadly no cure. Knowledge of the risks associated with asbestos exposure were well known during the time that Mr Siviter worked with it, yet many workers like Leslie were not warned of the dangers.”

Iain added: “Leslie’s family were devastated to find out that he was diagnosed with this terminal illness after being exposed to asbestos through simply going to work.

“I urge anyone who worked with or knew Leslie to come forward with any information so we can move his case forward and try and find some answers. His family want to know why more wasn’t done at the time to protect him whilst he was at work against the deadly asbestos dust so we can get some justice.”
Iain Shoolbred, Associate
Anyone who thinks they can help is asked to contact Iain Shoolbred on 0121 214 5446 or email