0370 1500 100

Woman Dies of Suspected Legionella

Grandmother Fell Ill During Holiday At Santa Eulalia


A 59-year-old grandmother died in hospital after contracting suspected Legionella bacteria during a holiday at an Ibiza holiday resort, according to reports.

Walesonline reports that Lynne Balaam fell ill days into a break with her sister Kathleen at the C’an Sanso apartments in Santa Eulalia at the end of September and passed away just weeks later while in hospital on the island.

Kathleen also fell ill, but subsequent tests led her to be diagnosed with pneumonia.
Her family told the news outlet that the apartments were subsequently shut after Mrs Balaam tested positive for Legionella bacteria, with a spokesperson for tour operator Thomson responding that no link had been made between the site and any risk of water contamination.

The tour operator added: “As a precaution Thomson arranged alternative accommodation for all guests who were either staying in or due to travel to the hotel.”

Expert Opinion
It is very worrying to see reports of these problems and, while very little is so far known, it is clear that the concerns raised in this case need to be thoroughly investigated.

"As this terrible case demonstrates, Legionella bacteria can lead to serious and sometimes fatal health problems. Everything possible needs to be done to ensure that answers can be provided as to how this person came to contract the bacteria."
Amandeep Dhillon, Partner

© 2017 Irwin Mitchell LLP is Authorised & Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Our Regulatory Information.