Fine For Devon Pub Following Wedding Reception Outbreak of Illness

Owners Pleaded Guilty To Hygiene Failings

03.10.2014

A couple who own a South Devon pub have been fined a total of £10,000 in relation to hygiene failings which emerged after gastric illness problems were reported in relation to a wedding reception at the site.

John and Linda Horsley pleaded guilty to three offences under hygiene regulations, including placing unsafe food on to the market, after South Hams District Council Environmental Health Officers inspected The Globe Inn at Frogmore in Kingsbridge.

Magistrates were told by the prosecution that while the conditions did not relate to the outbreak, they did have the potential to make people sick.

They were also shown pictures of the unclean conditions and samples of food and cloths used in the kitchen which were gathered following an inspection in October 2013.

Cllr Simon Wright, South Hams District Council's Executive Member with responsibility for Environmental Health, said: "We are always happy to work with businesses to ensure that public health is protected. However, where conditions are consistently poor then we will take any necessary action to protect the public.”

Expert Opinion
This is a worrying example which demonstrates the responsibilities that food outlets of all kinds have in terms of hygiene and ensuring that conditions at their sites meet the necessary requirements.

"The health implications of such problems should not be downplayed, as we are contacted every week by victims of illness outbreaks linked to all kinds of eateries and establishments – from hotels to holiday resorts, to takeaways and other venues.

"The issues raised relating to this pub are a significant concern and every possible step should be taken to ensure that improvements are made to food safety in order to protect consumers from unnecessary health risks."
Amandeep Dhillon, Partner