0370 1500 100

Luxury Honeymoon Ruined After Bride Contracts Serious Infection

Expert Travel Lawyers Investigating Health and Safety Conditions At Resort


A newly married couple’s trip of a lifetime ended in disaster after the bride contracted a serious infection and fell severely ill while on their honeymoon in Thailand.

Paul and Xanta Watts, from Kettering, in Northamptonshire wanted to start their married life in style by going on a three week tour of Hong Kong, Singapore and Thailand.  In their final week, they visited one of the most idyllic locations, Koh Yao Noi Island in Thailand for a week-long stay, but Xanta fell violently ill and was hospitalised for seven days after contracting Paratyphoid, which is a disease caused by the Salmonella bacteria.

Xanta fell ill during the final week of their honeymoon at the four-star Paradise Koh Yao resort. She suffered from diarrhoea, vomiting, severe stomach cramps, and tiredness.

Her illness was diagnosed as Paratyphoid on her return to the UK, which is a disease commonly caused by eating contaminated food and water. Paul also suffered illness whilst at the resort, but not to the extent of his new bride.

The couple have now instructed travel law experts at Irwin Mitchell to help investigate the conditions at the resort and to get answers from tour operator Kuoni after their £10,000 ‘honeymoon from hell’.

Commenting on her ordeal, care worker Xanta, said: "We experienced some horrible sights at the resort, such as seeing wormlike creatures in the pool on occasions during our stay, the food was undercooked on occasions, flies were often seen hovering around the fresh food, utensils were often being used for a number of dishes in the restaurant and fresh food was often piled on top of existing food rather than the trays being replaced."

Expert Opinion
Paul and Xanta feel that the standards which they experienced at this hotel, completely destroyed what was meant to be one of the most special and cherished experiences of their lives.

“To spend part of your holiday, never mind your honeymoon, suffering such gastric symptoms is clearly disastrous.

“We are currently carrying out investigations into the standards at the hotel following the reports from our clients. Paratyphoid is a type of Salmonella. It is not an infection to be taken lightly and we are keen to determine its source.”
Amandeep Dhillon, Partner

Commenting further on her ordeal, Xanta, said: "We were devastated that our so called ‘luxury’ holiday was completely ruined. I couldn’t believe that my dreams of a perfect start to my married life had been shattered by the illness we suffered.

"I was still so ill when I got home that I was hospitalised and had to have a month off work.

"We, our families and friends spent so long planning our perfect wedding and honeymoon. It therefore seems so unfair to think that our honeymoon is something we’d rather forget. Although we cannot turn back time and nothing can make up for what we suffered, we want answers over what caused our illness."

© 2017 Irwin Mitchell LLP is Authorised & Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Our Regulatory Information.