0370 1500 100

Family Who Suffered Illness On Egyptian Holiday Forced To Move To Another Hotel

Expert Travel Lawyers Issue Legal Proceedings Against Travel Operator


Expert lawyers have issued court proceedings against Tour operator First Choice after a family, whose holiday in Egypt was ruined by gastric illness, had to incur transfer costs when they moved to a different hotel because they thought health and safety conditions in the hotel were so poor.

Tracey Binding, 49, from Truro in Cornwall was taking her three children on their last family holiday before her eldest daughter Grace moved away for work, but instead three of the family fell ill with severe gastric illness during their two-week stay at the luxury Egyptian Nubian Village resort in Nabq Bay.

Specialist travel lawyers at Irwin Mitchell who are representing the family have now issued legal proceedings against tour operator First Choice Holidays & Flights after Tracey and two of her children, Grace, 19 and Archie, 12 all suffered from fever, vomiting, diarrhoea and severe stomach cramps during their holiday in July 2011.

In 2012 Irwin Mitchell secured a five-figure settlement for a couple who contracted Salmonella whilst staying at the Nubian Village Resort.

Expert Opinion
Sadly, this is not the first time that we have had complaints of illness from holidaymakers staying at this resort.

“Tracey and her family travelled abroad to relax in a luxury resort but instead their holiday was ruined as they contracted an extremely upsetting gastric illness. We had hoped that First Choice would work with us to resolve this case fairly but we have been left with no choice but to issue court proceedings.”
Suki Chhokar, Partner

While on the holiday, the family members that were ill had to be treated by the hotel doctor who gave them injections to relieve the vomiting and nausea and also prescribed antibiotics. Tracey’s daughter, who was just 14 at the time, had to look after the rest of her family because she was the only one who did not fall ill.

Pharmacy Technician, Tracey, describing their stay at the hotel, said: “The holiday was meant to be a relaxing time for all the family to get together before Grace left home but instead we spent the majority of the holiday feeling dreadful and I’m still suffering with symptoms now over two years on.

“The food in the hotel restaurant was often left uncovered and the meat sometimes looked undercooked. On occasions leftover food was placed back in the serving tray and food was not always piping hot.

“On one occasion a child vomited in the swimming pool and although there were staff around the poolside I did not see any of the staff ask guests to leave the pool or clean it, so I stopped my children from going back into the pool. 

“I felt I had no option to move my family from the hotel to a different one in the area as I was so disappointed with the resort and worried about the illness that I and two of my children endured.”

© 2017 Irwin Mitchell LLP is Authorised & Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Our Regulatory Information.