Lucy Proctor from Irwin Mitchell's Newcastle office secured substantial compensation for the family of a local teacher who died, aged 65 in 2004 after being diagnosed with Mesothelioma, a terminal cancer of the lining of the lung caused as a result of exposure to asbestos.
She was exposed to the deadly asbestos whilst working as a primary school teacher from 1974 to 1976. The asbestos was around the boiler and pipework in areas of the school used by our client during her employment, in particular the drying room where she would take her class to dry their clothes and shoes when it had been raining.
The defendants, Northumberland County Council, settled the claim without admitting liability, despite their own asbestos surveys identifying the existence of asbestos throughout the school at the time of our client's employment and later.
Back to Client Story