What We Do
Owners of residential property portfolios face different challenges to those owning commercial property. Regulation is much tighter, and actions are subject to wider scrutiny. As well as this, when disputes do arise, residential tenants or occupiers are much more likely to want to protect or enhance their rights.
We regularly act on behalf of investors, landlords, homeowners and leaseholders in relation to all manner of disputes relating to residential property.
Our residential property litigation services include:
- Recovering possession of property
- Rent recovery (including court and tribunal proceedings, and insolvency proceedings)
- Claims for disrepair and other disputes over breaches of covenant
- Service charge disputes, challenges and consultations
- Applications to the First-tier Tribunal (Property Chamber) and the Upper Tribunal
- Recovery of premises from unlawful occupiers/squatters
- Lease extensions and collective enfranchisement claims
- Acquisition of the freehold interest by leaseholders
- Disputes with owners of neighbouring properties over boundaries, easements (e.g. rights of way, rights to park, rights to light, etc.), trespass, nuisance and adverse possession
Why Choose Irwin Mitchell?
Our property litigation lawyers have considerable experience working for investors and developers, as well as individual leaseholders, on residential property disputes.
Going to court is just one way to solve a dispute. We will work hard to get a satisfactory outcome without having to resort to court proceedings. However, if a matter does proceed to court, our lawyers have the specialist expertise to get the best resolution for you.
We are commercially-focused, and provide practical advice that seeks to solve problems, rather than producing obstacles. Good service is something we pride ourselves on – our lawyers are highly-responsive and provide quality advice and representation to help bring a dispute to the best conclusion.
Clients say Danny Revitt of Irwin Mitchell "is aware of how our portfolio operates and is very proactive."
Chris Perrin "is excellent at explaining the law in succinct terms."
Legal 500, 2015
"Irwin Mitchell’s property litigation team gives extremely sound, commercial advice which is valued by professionals and clients alike."
Legal 500, 2013
“The property litigation team at Irwin Mitchell are also noted for being ’Responsive, and keen to offer solutions rather than just point out problems.’"
Legal 500, 2013