Norfolk Resort Closes After Norovirus Outbreak

Potters Resort Says Closure Is 'Precautionary Measure'


Andrew Robinson, Press Officer | 0113 218 6463
A holiday park in Norfolk has been forced to close its doors after a norovirus outbreak that may have affected up to 100 people.

Guests at Potters Resort in Hopton-on-Sea reported symptoms of vomiting after their stays at the park. The outbreak was initially thought to be confined to one coachload of guests, but there were more confirmed cases over the weekend.

Around 3,000 people are believed to have been at the resort over the weekend. Potters has announced that it has closed the 65-acre facility for deep cleaning, and expects to re-open on Friday.

Managing director John Potter told BBC News that "all procedures were followed".

"There were no cases on the resort on Friday morning [January 30th]... it wasn't until Saturday night that we had 10 [more] cases," he said.

"On Sunday, we made the decision to say we would put people before profits as this thing could get a lot worse."

The resort also said that any guests due to stay over the closure period have been contacted and will be offered a full refund.

Expert Opinion
We welcome the decision made by the management of the Potter Resort to close the site in order to ensure that the cause of the illness outbreak can be thoroughly investigated.

"With 100 people now thought to be affected by illness it is clear there will be a large number of frustrated holidaymakers who will now be seeking answers regarding the illness and what may have caused it to spread. Through our work in acting for thousands of people who have suffered as a result of illness outbreaks both in the UK and abroad, we have seen first-hand the long-lasting impact norovirus can have on those unfortunate enough to contract the virus.

"Illnesses such as norovirus not only disrupt holidays, but can also result in the sufferer having to take further time off work after their holiday, and to suffer other losses, and it is important that the cause of the illness at Potters Resort is discovered quickly and holidaymakers are reassured that the problem has been eradicated."
Amandeep Dhillon, Partner