Irwin Mitchell Company Secretarial Services
Under the Companies Act 2006, private companies no longer need to appoint a company secretary but their directors remain responsible for performance of the key tasks which historically underpinned the secretaries' role.
As a result, many private companies are taking the opportunity to outsource the filing, recordkeeping and administrative work that would previously have been undertaken by a company secretary.
In small and medium-sized private companies, where company secretarial tasks often fall to a busy director, this can free up valuable time for the director concerned to focus on business rather than compliance issues.
Handing over responsibility for company secretarial work to a suitable professional firm can be cost effective, even for the smallest of companies.
Other private companies are keen to retain their company secretaries and want to provide them with professional support until changes introduced by the new Companies Act 2006 become second nature.
In either case, Irwin Mitchell's dedicated Company Secretarial Team can work alongside your business and provide the professional advice, services and support you need.
Our Company Secretarial Team
Our Company Secretarial Team has an established track record in providing first class company secretarial services to companies of all sizes based throughout the UK. We provide a full range of company secretarial services including:
- New companies: we provide initial advice and incorporate new companies
- Statutory books: we hold company registers and keep them up-to-date
- Annual General Meetings: we produce the paperwork to accompany your Accounts if you choose to hold AGMs
- Annual Returns and Accounts: we produce Annual Returns and help to ensure that filing deadlines for these key documents are met
- Other Companies House filings: we prepare documents and file forms recording changes relating to the company (directors, registered office, accounting reference date etc.)
- Recording of decisions: we prepare documents to formally record important decisions of directors and shareholders (board minutes, written resolutions etc.)
- Old companies: we strike off redundant companies
As many of our Company Secretarial Team are experienced Corporate lawyers, we can also help you with matters such as:
- Changes to the company's Articles: whether to bring these generally in line with the Companies Act 2006, to deal with a specific issue e.g. to allow email communication or for any other reason
- Changes to the company's share capital and ownership: including share transfers, new issues of shares, capital restructurings and share buybacks
- Maintaining extra registers and records: including loan note and share option registers
- Protection of trademarks, trade names and other Intellectual Property: including registration advice
- New investment and acquisitions: as the business grows
- Security documents: when required by bankers or other external funders
- Key commercial arrangements: including specific contracts and general terms of business
- Sales and transfers: including disposals of businesses and transfers within groups
Irwin Mitchell LLP is the 4th largest legal practice in the UK (by number of fee earners) and has offices in Birmingham, Bristol, Cambridge, Glasgow, Leeds, London, Manchester, Newcastle, Sheffield and Southampton. We are a full service law firm offering comprehensive support to business clients.
We believe that outstanding client care and a quality legal service should always be the rule and not the exception.
We were one of the first legal firms to be awarded the ISO 9001 Quality Assurance Standard. This provides an audited benchmark by which procedures, communications and our responsiveness are measured and audited to ensure that we maintain our standards at the highest level.
To arrange a free consultation to discuss your company secretarial options and needs and to find out more about how we can help you, please contact:
Partner and Head of Company Secretarial Team
IM Company Secretarial Team
2 Wellington Place
Direct Line: 0113 281 6406