Emma has considerable experience in many areas of commercial litigation, but has a particular focus on intellectual property litigation, defamation and reputation management. Emma also advises on image rights protection as well as commercial contract issues. Emma has extensive trial experience but is also adept at providing tactical advice to help her clients avoid litigation.
She qualified as a solicitor in 2005.
- Successfully defending an injunction in relation to trade mark infringement and passing off.
- Advising a client in relation to copyright issues in the gaming industry.
- Acted for a large construction company and advised on cross border issues relating to a former employee’s infringement of copyright in the company’s software. The advice included a number of aspects including breach of restrictive covenants within an SPA and an employment contract as well as advice as to whether an injunction was appropriate.
- Acting for a large company in relation to its claim against an individual who is defaming its employees over many social media platforms.
- Acted for various well-known individuals in relation to the protection and exploitation of their image rights.
- Dealt with a number of warranty claims and high value disputes relating to earn out provisions in SPAs on behalf of both potential defendants and claimants.
"Emma Yates is a tenacious solution finder." – Legal 500, 2020
Emma is recommended for her "sound commercial approach" – Legal 500, 2016