Emma trained with Irwin Mitchell and has 17 years’ experience almost exclusively in financial crime and regulatory work.
Crime & Investigations
Emma advises people on complex and large scale commercial fraud and financial crime matters. Many of these cases involve large prosecuting bodies including:
- the Serious Fraud Office
- the Crown Prosecution Service (including matters led by its specialist prosecution team)
- HM Revenue and Customs
- Financial Conduct Authority.
Emma also helps clients facing cash seizures and complex restraint and confiscation matters. Often, these are complicated and high value fraud matters.
Emma advises individuals and companies on a range of regulatory matters in different sectors, including Environment and Safety and Transport Law.
Environment & Safety
Emma furthered her studies with a post-graduate certificate in Environmental Law. She uses this knowledge to regularly advise businesses and individuals who are investigated by local authorities and the Environment Agency. She also advises on health and safety and food and hygiene matters for a number of businesses, including both well-known high-street names and smaller retail businesses.
Emma holds an Operator CPC qualification in relation to transport law. She has extensive experience in helping clients in the road transport industry. Many of these issues involve DVSA investigations and Traffic Commissioner Public Inquiries.
Emma is an expert in professional discipline issues. She advises a variety of professionals facing regulatory investigations and fitness to practice hearings before a wide range of professional regulators including:
- the General Pharmaceutical Council
- Solicitors’ Disciplinary Tribunal
- Institute of Chartered Accountants of England and Wales
- Chartered Institute of Management Accountants
- British Association Counselling and Psychotherapy.
Emma is often asked to advise clients on managing regulatory risk and drafting policies such as dawn raid policies.
- Helped individuals prosecuted by the Crown Prosecution Service’s specialist fraud group in relation to alleged fraud of property franchises.
- Advising individuals including senior management, and companies, who were investigated and prosecuted by the Serious Fraud Office for bribery and corruption allegations.
- Represented a company director during an HMRC investigation and prosecution for tax evasion from supposed tax avoidance schemes of approximately £250m.
- Advised an individual in relation to an HMRC money laundering prosecution to the value of approximately £200m.
- Represented accountants in professional disciplinary proceedings brought by the Institute of Chartered Accountants of England and Wales and the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants.
- Advised and represented a specialist manufacturing company in an HSE investigation and prosecution. Careful preparation and attention to detail meant the fine was significantly reduced following an appeal.
- Represented a leisure business during a health and safety investigation and prosecution following a gas emission incident.
- Represented a haulage company at a Public Inquiry before the Traffic Commissioner following concerns regarding safety, maintenance and general compliance.
- Represented a PLC, in relation to food hygiene offences brought by a local authority. The case was discontinued following successful legal submissions.
- Advised and represented an individual in a local authority trading standards investigation concerning alleged counterfeit goods.
"Emma Windle is a meticulous lawyer who is passionate at achieving the best outcome for clients. She will go above and beyond other lawyers I have worked with, and works collaboratively with other legal professionals and colleagues." – Legal 500, 2021
“Emma Windle was so up front, she always thought about what was best for me. I think she is an exceptional solicitor who shows great empathy towards her clients and is extremely knowledgeable in her field. I couldn’t fault Irwin Mitchell at all. They… took a lot of the stress out for me.” – Client
“Senior associate Emma Windle is adept at defending individuals in complex and large scale commercial fraud and financial fraud.” – Legal 500,2018