Craig is a regulatory and corporate crime lawyer and barrister with a particular expertise in advising and defending corporates and individuals under investigation by or being prosecuted by bodies such as the Serious Fraud Office (SFO), the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS), the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), the Environment Agency and Trading Standards.
Craig regularly provides commercially aware advice on issues such as bribery and corruption, modern slavery and corporate criminal liabilities. He is often engaged in enhanced due diligence projects (particularly in the investment and M&A context) and internal investigations.
Craig also provides advice and representation on aspects of money laundering, cash forfeiture and proceeds of crime/confiscation. Craig has previously been seconded to the SFO Libor investigation in 2014 and to a “boiler room” investigation in 2012/13. He has also been seconded to the CPS Proceeds of Crime Unit working on applications to the court to restrain assets, reconsider confiscation orders and cash forfeiture.
In relation to Financial Services, Craig advises on and defends actual and potential FCA enforcement and supervision investigations involving authorised firms, non-authorised firms, approved persons, SMFs, NEDs, Board Directors and senior managers.
Particular areas of experience are insider dealing and market abuse investigations, unauthorised business and financial promotions breaches, UCISs. He also advises on Individual and firm rule breaches, approval issues and approved person FIT and proper issues and Form A advice.
Craig regularly advises in the area of health and safety and food hygiene, instructed by corporates and individuals facing both civil and criminal investigation by the HSE and Local Authorities.
Craig has considerable experience in the field of professional disciplinary work, having been seconded to the Nursing and Midwifery Council and has acted on behalf of the Royal College of Nursing and the General Chiropractic Council. He has experience of the investigation process and fitness to practice hearings before a number of professional regulators including: NMC, GCC, GDC, GPC.
Prior to joining Irwin Mitchell, Craig practised at the independent Bar appearing in the Magistrates Court, Crown Court, Court of Appeal and drafting pleadings for the Privy Council. He can therefore provide the full scope of representation to clients, up to and including appearing as trial advocate or appellate advocate.
- Financial Services - Advising stockbroker under FCA ENF investigation for suspicious transaction reporting.
- Financial Services - Advising fund manager interviewed by FCA ENF relating to FCA competition investigation in asset management sector.
- Financial Services - Advising accountant/director applying to be an approved person, application giving rise to FCA FIT concerns.
- UK Bribery Act - Advising listed company on M&A due diligence in relation to UK Bribery Act.
- UK Bribery Act - Advising listed company on internal investigation for potential bribery.
- Modern Slavery – Advising listed company on MSA obligations including due diligence questionnaire and potential criminal liabilities.
- SFO investigation – Advising senior managers of global power system company in relation to interviews with SFO regarding international corruption allegations.
- SFO prosecution – Advising pension fund manager on confiscation following conviction for fraud and money laundering.
- Crime Individuals – advising telecoms director in relation to prosecution under the Wireless Telegraphy Act. Case involves applications to stay, JRs, application to the High Court and issues relating to EU directives.
- Health and Safety – Defending the director of a SME chemical manufacturer facing prosecution for Environment Act offences arising out of a large chemical fire.
- Food Hygiene - Advising high end Japanese restaurant in relation to multiple environmental health breaches. Craig managed to persuade the local authority to divert the case away from prosecution, which resulted in the company accepting a caution.
- Trading Standards – Advising nanny agency on Enterprise Act enforcement and undertakings.
UK PLC – “The Chap in Anti-Bribery he is also very good… very comprehensive and helpful training session - one of the best in the market!”
Director of Japanese Restaurant – “I don’t see anything they need to improve. They are strong on everything, very quick, they explained things… Knowledge and expertise from Craig was fantastic."
Crime Individual – “Sarah introduced me to Craig Weston, fraud was his particular speciality. He was absolutely brilliant. He spoke to the police and the bank, and explained the situation so my parents had some comfort. We’ve moved forward and my parents are protected.”
Crime – Insurance Broker – “Once again, a huge thank you. We are so relieved with the outcome and can now move on.”