Craig is a regulatory and corporate crime lawyer. He specialises in advising and defending corporate businesses and individuals under investigation or prosecution by regulatory bodies such as the:
- Serious Fraud Office (SFO)
- Crown Prosecution Service (CPS)
- Financial Conduct Authority (FCA)
- Environment Agency and Trading Standards.
Prior to joining Irwin Mitchell, Craig also practiced at the Independent Bar. He appeared in the Magistrates Court, Crown Court, Court of Appeal and drafted pleadings for the Privy Council. This experience means he can represent clients in a variety of cases at different levels of prosecution.
Craig regularly gives advice on issues such as bribery and corruption, modern slavery and corporate criminal liabilities. He’s often involved in enhanced due diligence projects (particularly in the investment and M&A context) and internal investigations.
Craig also advises and represents clients on aspects of money laundering, cash forfeiture and proceeds of crime or confiscation. He was previously seconded to the SFO Libor investigation in 2014 and to a “boiler room” investigation from 2012 to 2013.
He was also seconded to the CPS Proceeds of Crime Unit working on applications to the court to restrain assets, reconsider confiscation orders and cash forfeiture. This means Craig can see situations from the regulator’s or investigator’s perspective - incredibly useful for people looking for policy guidance or facing potential prosecution.
Craig advises and defends FCA enforcement and supervision investigations. Many of these involve authorised and non-authorised firms, approved persons, SMFs, NEDs, board directors and senior managers.
Craig has expertise in insider dealing and market abuse investigations, unauthorised business and financial promotions breaches, and unregulated collective investment schemes (UCISs).
Craig regularly advises corporates and individuals facing both civil and criminal investigation by the Health and Safety Executive and Local Authorities.
Craig has considerable experience in professional disciplinary work. He was seconded to the Nursing and Midwifery Council and acted for the Royal College of Nursing and the General Chiropractic Council. He has experience with investigations and fitness to practice hearings with professional regulators including:
- Nursing & Midwifery Council (NMC)
- General Chiropractic Council (GCC)
- General Dental Council (GDC)
- General Pharmaceutical Council (GPC).
Craig also helps professional individuals and firms with regulation breaches. He advises on approval and fit and proper issues (FIT) where the FCA investigates professionals who don’t meet the standards their job requires.
- Delivery of training to a variety of UK and multinational boards on UK Bribery Act Compliance.
- Provided advice to a German company in respect of its UK Bribery Act responsibilities concerning corporate hospitality.
- Advised the writers of ‘Coronation Street’ about the processes of a financial crime to make a certain storyline more realistic.
- Represented an actuary under investigation by the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries regarding an allegation of misconduct during an internal investigation.
- Advised a pension fund manager on confiscation proceedings following conviction for fraud and money laundering.
- Provided advice to a national car dealership on suspicious transactions and activity reports and Anti-Money Laundering compliance.
- Advising a listed company on its Modern Slavery Act obligations including the drafting of a due diligence questionnaire and potential criminal liabilities.
- Advice to a mobile network operator under investigation by the FCA for allegedly carrying out consumer credit activities and regulated activities without authorisation.
- Advising a chain of pubs under investigation in relation compliance with Health and Safety at Work Act and Food Safety Regulations.
- Providing advice to a national car and tyre parts company in relation to alleged breaches of consumer protection law.
- “[Craig] was absolutely brilliant. He spoke to the police and the bank, and explained the situation so my parents had some comfort. We’ve moved forward and my parents are protected.” – Crime Client
- “Craig Weston … had a good sense of how other parties might think and respond. He was great, we were in capable hands.” – FCA Approved person
- “ [Craig] had spent time at the SFO, so knew the inner workings, knew about the interview I would have, the process, the role of the witness…” – UK GC in SFO investigation
- “Very professional, thorough [with] a human touch, I think that’s key. I think they’ve done a fabulous job, they’ve invested in lots of time to understand, they’ve listened really well. They have given me a lot of advice, very calm, very reassuring." – Senior VP in Pharma Industry