Seeking Information On Company And Working Conditions
A former painter and decorator from Liversedge in West Yorkshire has instructed specialist lawyers to investigate after he was diagnosed with an asbestos-related cancer.
Lewis Doubtfire, 72, was told he had developed mesothelioma earlier this year, which is a terminal cancer most commonly associated with being exposed to asbestos decades previously.
Lewis is appealing to his former colleagues to come forward with any information that may help determine where his exposure to the harmful substance took place. He believes it may have been during his employment with Percy Coates trading as J Auty who were based in Ravensthorpe.
He worked here between 1966/67 and 1967/68 as a painter and decorator, and also carried out a wide variety of jobs for the company in the many mills and industries around West Yorkshire.
Lewis has now instructed specialist asbestos-related disease lawyers at national firm Irwin Mitchell to investigate how he developed mesothelioma. The legal team are seeking information in relation to the working conditions Lewis was exposed to and importantly any information about the company’s employer’s liability insurance history.
Expert Opinion“Mesothelioma is a horrible disease and Lewis is desperate to find out how he went on to develop the illness.
Through our work, we sadly see many people affected by asbestos several decades after the initial exposure. In this case, we are looking for anyone to come forward that might have information on the company and the working conditions experienced there, so that we can provide Lewis with the answers he needs.”
Nicola Handley - Solicitor
Lewis first began to show signs of being unwell in Spring this year with a cough and breathlessness. He was also feeling very tired and his GP arranged for him to have a chest x-ray He was shocked to find out he was suffering from mesothelioma.
He said: “I had been quite fit and well up until the diagnosis. I was enjoying my retirement and spending time with my wife after working hard throughout my employment history.
“It is really upsetting to hear that my work could be to blame for me developing this awful illness, and while there is nothing I can do to change it, I need to know what caused it.”
He recalled: “While working for J Auty, I worked alongside plumbers, heating engineers and property maintenance staff. I remember on one occasion actually mixing asbestos powder in a big drum in order to make asbestos lagging to be applied to a boiler.
“I would be grateful if any of my former colleagues would come forward with any details on the working conditions during our time there and the employer’s liability insurance history for the company.”
Anyone with any information that might assist with this case is asked to contact Nicola Handley at Irwin Mitchell on 0113 220 6233 or at Nicola.email@example.com.
Find out more about Irwin Mitchell's expertise in handling asbestos-related disease cases