Information Sought On Metal Box Factory In Edmonton
The family of a London woman are calling on her former workmates for help to establish how she developed the asbestos-related cancer which claimed her life.
Dorothy Cole, from Wood Green, died aged 90 on Boxing Day. An inquest ruled that her death was caused by mesothelioma – a cancer of the lining of the lung linked to asbestos exposure, often decades previously.
The family were unaware of her illness until the inquest.
Following the conclusion, her son Christopher, 63, instructed specialist asbestos-related disease lawyers at Irwin Mitchell’s London office to investigate her illness and how she developed it.
Now, as part of their work, the legal experts are seeking more details as to whether the condition may be linked to her employment history and, more specifically, to her time at the Metal Box Factory in Edmonton in the late 1960s.
Find out more about Irwin Mitchell's expertise in handling asbestos-related disease cases
Lacey St James, the legal expert at Irwin Mitchell, representing the family, said: “Christopher and the rest of the family remain devastated by their loss and are keen to gain a full understanding as to how this could have happened. Sadly, as there was no mention of mesothelioma until after her death, they had no chance to discuss the issue of asbestos exposure with Dorothy.
“Following our initial investigations we believe exposure may have taken place at the Metal Box Factory, but we need more information to determine whether that is the case.
“We would be hugely grateful to anyone who may be able to come forward with information regarding the site and help us with this case.”
Dorothy and her husband Colin met after the Second World War. They married in 1952 and had one child, Christopher Cole, aged 63.
It is understood that Dorothy worked at the Metal Box Factory in Edmonton across an 18-month period in 1967 and 1968. Following that, she moved into retail jobs and then worked with a nursery following her retirement in the late 1980s.
Looking back, her son Christopher said: “Mum was the most loving and kind person you could wish to meet. She adored her family and would do anything for us. She was never happier than spending time with us all.
“I was only young when Mum worked at the Metal Box Factory but I remember that it was a dirty environment and quite rough and ready. The company produced tins and Mum worked on the production line, but that is about all I know.
“It was really tough seeing how asbestos affected her, particularly as the first symptoms emerged around her 90th birthday in July 2018. We had no idea about her illness until the inquest and to be told she had died after being exposed to asbestos shocked us all.
“We are all still devastated she is gone and are desperate to understand just how she could have developed mesothelioma.
“Any help with our efforts would be hugely appreciated and could make a big difference.”
Anyone with information which may assist this case is asked to contact Lacey St James on 0203 040 3445 or email firstname.lastname@example.org