Pair Put On Drips After Seeking Medical Help On Holiday To Egypt
A couple “devastated” when their stay at a five-star holiday resort was ruined by illness have instructed specialist lawyers to help them gain answers.
Dean Campbell and his wife Alison, from Peverell in Plymouth, both developed symptoms including diarrhoea, vomiting and severe headaches towards the end of their all-inclusive stay at the five-star Jaz Aquamarine resort in Hurghada, Egypt, in September 2018.
The problems proved so severe that the couple, both aged 54 sought medical attention at the site, with both of them being placed on drips as doctors attempted to help them recover.
However, with the pair still suffering the after-effects of the illness almost a year on from the holiday, they instructed Irwin Mitchell’s specialist International Personal Injury team to investigate their experiences and help them understand whether the illness could have been prevented.
The legal experts have vast experience of acting for holidaymakers affected by such issues.
Expert Opinion“We are very concerned by the information which has been provided to us by Dean and Alison and are already investigating all aspects of what they have been through.
Gastric illness issues of this kind should never be downplayed, as we have seen on numerous occasions how they can lead those affected to develop longer-term health problems from which they never fully recover.
We are determined to secure answers for the couple and help them try and put what happened behind them.
As part of our investigations, we are keen to hear from anyone who may have information about conditions at the Jaz Aquamarine in September 2018.”
Amandeep Samra - Associate Solicitor
Dean and Alison’s week-long holiday at Jaz Aquamarine, which was booked through TUI UK Limited, began on 24 September last year.
Alison recalled: “Food was sometimes left uncovered in the hotel restaurant we visited. I also witnessed on occasions new food being brought out and being added to the old food. I also recall seeing the chef wearing the same gloves to deal with raw and cooked food on one occasion.”
Alison started to feel ill on 26 September and Dean became ill on 29 September.
Dean said: “When Alison fell ill, she woke up in the early hours of the morning and was just all over the place. As well as having physical symptoms of illness she was struggling to think straight. I fell ill a few days later and I was similarly disorientated – it was like I was delirious and was going to pass out.
“When Alison fell ill, I went with her to the medical centre and the doctors hooked her up to a drip. There were other holidaymakers on drips too which we found shocking. We were stunned really.
“When I fell ill, we both went to the medical centre and we were both treated. The doctors hooked us both up to drips.
“We have been left devastated by what happened. You don’t go on holiday and expect to experience what happened to us.”
On their return to the UK, Alison phoned her GP in relation to her ongoing symptoms. She also attended her GP due to a rash which appeared and the doctor advised that it may have been linked to food poisoning. Both Dean and Alison have also faced ongoing symptoms since the holiday.
Alison added: “The illness has been really horrible and I can’t believe how long it has lasted.
“We reported the illness while we were at the resort but it never really felt like anything was done. Months on I’m still so frustrated by the whole ordeal and I just want to know what caused us to fall ill. No one should have to go through this.”
Find out more about Irwin Mitchell's expertise in handling holiday illness cases