0370 1500 100

Investigation Launched After Former Plumber Died From Asbestos-Related Disease

Expert Industrial Illness Lawyers Investigate Working Conditions


The family of a former plumber who died from an asbestos-related cancer is launching an appeal to find answers about how he came to be exposed to asbestos at work.  

Richard Maxted, from Hereford was 64 when he died in March 2012 after a six month long battle with mesothelioma, a cancer in the lining of the lungs caused by exposure to asbestos. He was diagnosed in September 2011 when he went to his GP after suffering from shortness of breath.

After his death, his daughter Heidi Maxted instructed specialist industrial illness lawyers at Irwin Mitchell to investigate the working conditions with his former employers and find answers as to where and why he was exposed to asbestos.

Together with Heidi, Irwin Mitchell are appealing to Richard’s former colleagues who knew him or worked with him at the following companies to get in touch:

• Paragon Heating (Warm Air Systems) Limited 1967 – 1975, in Birmingham
• Frank Gadd Limited 1975 – 1982 in Halesowen
• W Tibbett (Heating) 1982 – 1983 in Halesowen
• Alan John Hill Limited 1984 – 1986 in Stourbridge
• Alan P Brewer Limited 1986 - 1987 in Malvern
• Beaven & Hodges Limited (1987 – 1988) in Hereford
• Dave Llewellyn Heating (1988 – 1989) in Hereford
• L R Lewis (trading as Leslie Ralph) (1988 – 1989) in Hereford

Kim Barrett, an expert asbestos lawyer at Irwin Mitchell’s Birmingham office, leading the case, said: “We know that employers have known about the risks of using asbestos for many decades. The first Asbestos regulations came into force in 1931. Sadly our work shows many did not do enough to protect workers from the harmful dust and fibres and too many people are now suffering from asbestos-related diseases decades later.

“Mr Maxted worked as a plumber throughout Herefordshire and the West Midlands from the late 1960s to late 1980s and Heidi believes her father was exposed to asbestos during this time.

“We now hope that anyone who has any information regarding the working practices and presence of asbestos at any of these companies comes forward to assist with our enquiries as it could prove vital in obtaining justice for Richard’s family.”

Heidi 36, who lives Bodenham, Hereford, said: “It was a shock to lose Dad at such a young age and it has been very difficult to come to terms with. It is difficult to think that Dad was diagnosed with this terminal illness after being exposed to asbestos through simply going to work. 

“I urge anyone who knew or worked with my dad to come forward with any information as to the working conditions at any of these companies so that we can continue to seek justice for him.”

Anyone with any information on the working conditions at any of these companies is asked to contact Kim Barrett at Irwin Mitchell’s Birmingham office on 0121 214 5211 or email kim.barrett@irwinmitchell.com.

© 2017 Irwin Mitchell LLP is Authorised & Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Our Regulatory Information.