0370 1500 100

Fine Given to Care Home Criticised

Accidental death caused by neglect


The fine given to a care home firm after a resident died in a hot bath has been criticised by the authority which brought the prosecution. John Jones, 83, was found dead at the Brockshill Care Home in Oadby in 2003. The water's temperature was measured at 51C - the recommended maximum is 44C. An inquest returned a verdict of accidental death contributed to by neglect.

Prime Life Ltd, was fined £100,000 on Monday 8th October after pleading guilty to a charge under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 at Leicester Crown Court. But John Boyce, the leader of Oadby and Wigston Borough Council said it had wanted a penalty closer to £250,000.

An inquest in 2004 returned a verdict of accidental death contributed to by neglect. Inspectors from the National Care Standards Commission had warned the care home's water was too hot one month before Mr Jones died.

Prime Life said in statement: "The safety of clients, our staff and any occupants of our facilities are of paramount importance to us, it always has and remains one of our key objectives. We constantly risk assess our facilities and when hazards are identified, we are uncompromising in our actions to address them."

Fill in our online claims form for free legal advice.


© 2017 Irwin Mitchell LLP is Authorised & Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Our Regulatory Information.