Many British people move to Spain seeking sun and a more relaxed lifestyle. It’s easy to get carried away with the excitement of moving abroad but it’s important to remember that Spanish law can be very different to the law in the UK and there will be times when you need expert legal advice.
It is important to speak to solicitors who understand the law in Spain and how it can affect you. There are two types of legal situations you might face when living in Spain:
- Situations you can plan for, such as buying and registering a new property, or having a will prepared to make sure that your Spanish assets go to the right people if you die.
- Situations that are unexpected – and usually unwelcome – such as a relationship breakdown or suffering a personal injury.
In both types of situation, you need access to legal advice that you can understand, from solicitors you can trust to be acting in your best interests. It can be very frightening and confusing to become involved in a legal dispute when you are far from the UK laws that you are more familiar with. Even if you are taking steps to sort out legal matters that are within your control (like writing a will), it can be unsettling to be unaware of your rights and of the correct procedures to follow.
Even if you speak fluent Spanish, it can be daunting to face a legal situation without having a good understanding of Spanish law.
How Irwin Mitchell Abogados Can Help You
We have a team of experienced solicitors who are dedicated to providing legal advice and services to UK nationals who live, work or do business in Spain.
- Give advice about whether you can complain or take someone or a business to court over what you consider to be unacceptable service or behaviour (e.g. a construction firm, or noisy neighbours)
- Help you through a separation or divorce in Spain and discuss the options you and your children have
- Give as much legal advice and support as you need when dealing with the administration of the estate if your loved one dies
- Deal with insurance claims on your behalf
- Handle your claim for personal injuries
- Help you purchase your dream home and make sure that all the paperwork is done properly
- Make sure your tax forms are completed properly, or deal with other tax issues like inheritance tax and capital gains tax
- Prepare your will so it covers all the property and belongings you own in Spain
Our multi-lingual lawyers (known in Spain as Abogados) can give you clear advice in plain English and listen carefully to your instructions and concerns. We have offices in England and Spain and are experts in both English and Spanish law.
View our Spanish website
Whatever legal issues you might be facing in your personal or work life, Irwin Mitchell Abogados can give you in-depth legal help and support whenever you need it.