Personal Injury Compensation: How It’s Calculated
It’s always difficult to say exactly what you may receive for your compensation claim. Typically it will depend upon:
- The nature and extent of your injuries or illness
- How the injury has affected you and your family
- The financial consequences of the injuries or illness
- How you’re likely to be affected in the future
- What care, support and rehabilitation you may need
It will also take into account legal issues including:
- Guidelines based on previous case law
- Guidance given by judges
For clients pursuing a personal injury claim, we’ll gather evidence so that we can evaluate the claim and how much compensation you’re likely to receive. This helps to produce a ‘Schedule of Loss’. As your claim progresses, we’ll give you appropriate advice and support.
Schedule of Losses
The types of losses covered by these schedules include:
- Loss of earnings if you’ve been off work or on reduced hours as a result of an accident or negligence
- Care – we put a value to the amount of care you’ve needed, whether it’s provided as a favour by family members or is paid care and assistance
- Travel expenses – the cost of taxis, bus fares and trains, and the value of the mileage to each destination
- Miscellaneous expenses – prescriptions, damaged clothing, aids and equipment, private medical treatment and counselling costs
- Adaptations to property
- Aids and equipment
We can also calculate any future losses based on medical evidence and care reports. The losses we include aren’t limited to those listed above; every client is unique and our service reflects this.
The Special Damages Unit
Most of our clients suffer some form of financial loss as a result of injury and it will vary dependent on all of the circumstances above.
The Irwin Mitchell Special Damages Unit is a resource which is unique to our firm – we are a team of dedicated specialists who deal with the measurement and quantification of financial losses.
The Special Damages Unit has been developed in-house since 1990 and boasts 20 members with a broad array of accountancy qualifications and expertise.
Simply complete the form below and one of our experts will get back to you.