Family ‘Disgusted’ At £50 Voucher ‘Apology’ From Tour Operator First Choice After Holiday Illness

The Hughes Family Has Instructed International Personal Injury Lawyers At Irwin Mitchell

30.09.2016

A family whose two-week holiday to the Dominican Republic was ruined by gastric illness after just a few days say they are disgusted after being offered just £50 off their next holiday by tour operator First Choice.

 

Kristie and Mark Hughes from Stourbridge, West Midlands, have instructed expert international personal injury lawyers at Irwin Mitchell after they and children Jade, 19, and Daniel, 11, fell ill during their stay at the four star Memories Splash Punta Cana.

 

The family flew out for the two-week break on May 21. However, just days into the holiday Daniel fell seriously ill with vomiting. The following day, Kirstie, Mark and Jade all began suffering with gastric symptoms.

 

Jatinder Paul, an Associate Solicitor and expert international personal injury lawyer at Irwin Mitchell, representing the family, said:

 

Expert Opinion
“What the Hughes family experienced was incredibly distressing, especially when they were expecting a relaxing and care-free holiday.

“Appropriate standards of hygiene in the restaurants of hotels are crucial if illness is to be prevented.

“I hope TUI UK Limited, who own the First Choice brand, are working quickly to resolve the issues they have at the hotel as giving out holiday vouchers to those affected is simply is not good enough.

“We have first-hand experience of our clients being offered derisory vouchers by tour operators to discourage them from claiming what is rightly available to them through the civil justice system. It would cost a whole lot more than £50 for the family to go on another holiday.

“As well as the issues with the food, the family said the hotel itself was in disrepair with broken tiles around the pool and birds flying around uncovered food in the restaurant.

“We would like to hear from anyone who was staying at the resort at the time who may also have suffered with illness as they may be able to help with our investigations.”
Jatinder Paul, Associate

 

Kristie said: “We were really looking forward to the holiday and the opportunity to really relax as a family, but what we experienced was anything but.

 

“There were problems with the hotel from the off with eggs not cooked properly, there were birds in the restaurant and flies over the food. Once we noticed we were so careful, but in the end it didn’t make a difference and it was too late.

 

 “When First Choice contacted us to offer us £50 off our next holiday we were stunned and then disgusted. It just added insult to injury.”