Group Of Holidaymakers Instruct Lawyers After Parasitic Illness At Greek Island Hotel

Expert International Personal Injury Lawyers Investigating Cryptosporidium Outbreak

05.10.2016

A group of holidaymakers are taking legal action against tour operator Thomas Cook after their all-inclusive breaks to the Greek Island of Zante were ruined by severe gastric illness.

 

Among those affected are Rosanna Cowley, 27, and her partner from Kettering Northamptonshire who, along with her children Joshua, 12 and Ellie, one, stayed at Marelen Hotel in Kalamaki in August this year.

 

Expert international personal injury lawyers at Irwin Mitchell have been instructed on behalf of the Cowleys and 13 other people who were struck down by gastric illness caused by the parasite, Cryptosporidium, whilst holidaying at the hotel this summer.

 

Cryptosporidium is a microscopic parasite which causes severe gastric symptoms such as diarrhoea and vomiting and is often spread through contaminated water in swimming pools.

 

Expert international personal injury lawyers at Irwin Mitchell have been instructed on behalf of the Cowleys and 13 other people who were struck down by gastric illness, some of which have been confirmed to have contracted Cryptosporidium, whilst holidaying at the hotel this summer.

 

Twenty-seven year old Rosanna said she watched as staff responded to faecal matter in the pool, fishing the stool out of the water while seemingly oblivious guests swam nearby. Staff are then said to have treated the water, again still whilst people swam nearby. They have since told their legal team that they were not aware of the pool being drained for deep cleaning.

 

She said: “It was hideous. We had all swam in that pool. As soon as I started feeling unwell I just knew it was bad. And then one-by-one we all came down with it.

 

“When I got back to the UK I went to see my doctor and was soon told I had Cryptosporidium. We were visited by Environmental Health officers and the whole thing was really distressing, especially for Ellie who is too young to understand what was going on.

 

“When you pay to go on holiday with a company like Thomas Cook, you do not expect to have to worry about basic hygiene standards.

 

“After what we have been through I would hate to think of anyone else suffering in the same way.”

 

The family, who suffered painful stomach cramps, vomiting and diarrhoea have not fully recovered from the illness which has left them feeling weakened and lethargic.


Irwin Mitchell has received reports from other guests who say they witnessed the side of the pool being scrubbed with a nail brush which was then rinsed in the pool water.

 

Jatinder Paul, an Associate Solicitor and expert international personal injury lawyer for Irwin Mitchell, representing the families, said:

 

Expert Opinion
“Cryptosporidium can have serious health implications for those affected and in our work we have seen first-hand the long-term issues that it can cause, from which some victims may never fully recover.

“It is deeply concerning to have had this number of people fall ill at the same hotel at the same time – especially children – the youngest of which was just one years old.

“We would encourage anyone who has stayed at Marelen Hotel and has since experienced gastric symptoms, to see their GP at the earliest available opportunity. We would also like to speak with them as they may be able to help our investigations.

“There also needs to be a clear understanding by Thomas Cook as to why this has happened and reassurances that steps are being taken to try and prevent the same thing happening again.”
Jatinder Paul, Associate