Cleaners Move Into Staffordshire Primary School To Remove Norovirus

103 Children And Eight Staff Struck Down By Sickness Bug

23.05.2016

Saffron Otter, Press Officer | 0114 276 4666

A Staffordshire primary school has been forced to shut after a Norovirus outbreak has affected 103 children and eight members of staff.

 

Cleaners have been brought in to Burley Academy in Newcastle-under-Lyme in an attempt to eradicate traces of the Norovirus.

 

The school said health and safety was its “highest priority” after symptoms reportedly arose last Thursday.

 

The school is due to re-open on Tuesday if the clean is completed.

Clare Comiskey, a Specialist Public Health Lawyer at Irwin Mitchell, who has acted on behalf of hundreds of victims who have suffered gastric illnesses, said:

Expert Opinion
“Norovirus can spread extremely quickly in environments where many people are grouped together, such as in schools.

“We’ve seen first-hand that illnesses such as this can result in victims suffering from long-term health problems. With over 100 children affected, their parents will no doubt want answers about what may have caused the illness and will want reassurance that the outbreak has now been contained and the spread of further illness prevented.”
Clare Comiskey, Associate