Frustrated Family Instruct Lawyers After Menorca Holiday Illness ‘Nightmare’

Answers Demanded Regarding Problems At Victoria Playa


Andrew Robinson, Press Officer | 0113 218 6463

A family from Cumbria whose week-long stay at a Menorca holiday resort in June this year turned into ‘a nightmare’ after it was ruined by illness have instructed specialist travel lawyers at Irwin Mitchell to investigate the problems they encountered.

Matthew Ward, from Kendal, has revealed how he, his wife Nichola and their one-year-old son Freddie all needed medication after they started to suffer symptoms including diarrhoea, vomiting and stomach cramps just a few days into their stay at Victoria Playa in Santa Tomas.

The illness proved so severe that Nichola required an injection to stop vomiting and Freddie is continuing to feel the effects of the illness. The family advise that they visited the onsite doctor a number of times during their holiday due to the illness suffered.

Nichola Blackburn, the specialist illness expert at Irwin Mitchell who is representing the family, said:

Expert Opinion
“We are very concerned to hear the Ward family’s reports regarding the problems they faced at Victoria Playa.

“Their story is sadly another terrible example of the consequences that holiday illness can have on those affected, often meaning they are unable to enjoy their well-deserved breaks and in some cases leaving them with longer-term health issues which disrupt their lives back in the UK.

“We have now commenced our own investigations into the issues raised in this case and, as part of our enquiries, would be keen to hear from anyone else who may have experienced similar issues at the resort.

“Our ultimate aim is to ensure that our clients are able to get answers following the illness they faced.”
Nichola Blackburn, Other Legal Expert

The Ward family fell ill several days into their seven-day stay at the Victoria Playa, with Matthew, 33, Nichola, 27 and Freddie all developing symptoms at the same time.

Matthew, who works as a joiner, recalls: “We had been looking forward to some precious family time together for a while, so we were absolutely devastated when we fell ill.

“We were completely knocked for six, but I was particularly worried about both Nichola and Freddie. Nichola at one point just couldn’t seem to stop vomiting and the local doctor had to prescribe an injection to tackle it. It was just a nightmare.”

As well as Nichola receiving an injection, the local doctor also then prescribed the family with medication to pick up from a local pharmacy. More than two months on from the holiday, Freddie is continuing to show symptoms.

Matthew added: “We’re just so frustrated that we and our little boy were hit so hard by illness on what was supposed to be a nice family holiday. I witnessed staff cleaning the floor with cloths in the restaurant and then using the same cloths to clean tables and children’s high chairs. 

“Freddie was sick in his highchair and this was cleaned up by the staff and then I saw them use the same cloth to wipe other chairs, no disinfectant spray was used.”

“While nothing can change what we’ve been through, we just want to know how we fell ill.”