Family Of Former Storeman Seek Answers After Asbestos-Related Death

Appeal For Information Regarding Working Conditions At Several Sites

26.10.2015

The family of a former storeman and mechanic who died after being diagnosed with a terminal asbestos-related disease are calling on former colleagues who worked with him at a range of sites in Newcastle to come forward with information regarding his illness.

John Dixon, died aged 80 in August after being diagnosed with mesothelioma in April. The cancer affects the lining of the lungs and is commonly associated with asbestos exposure decades ago.

Prior to his death Mr Dixon had instructed specialist asbestos-related disease lawyers at Irwin Mitchell in an effort to seek answers regarding how he came into contact with the deadly material.

Lawyers are specifically keen for more information regarding the working conditions at four of John’s former employers:

  • Telemite Limited, part of George Angus & Co, where he worked from 1951 to 1966/67
  • Auto Electrical Services Limited, which he was employed between 1967 and 1979
  • British Engines Limited, where he worked two spells from 1979 to 1981 and 1985 to 1991
  • Electro Diesel (Newcastle) Limited, also known as Electro Diesel (North East) Limited and Tyne Electro Diesel Limited, where he worked from 1990 to 1995
Expert Opinion
“The mesothelioma diagnosis left John and his family distraught. It is commonly associated with breathing in harmful asbestos dust and fibres at work many years ago, but it takes decades before the symptoms begin to show.

“We are now investigating John’s employment history and are keen to hear from anyone who may have worked with him across any of his former employers. They may be able to help his family continue with his legal battle for justice.

“Any information that can be provided about the working conditions at these sites could be vital in ensuring his loved ones get access to the answers they deserve regarding his illness.”
Roger Maddocks, Partner

John undertook work removing and replacing asbestos brake linings on vehicles during his time at both Telemite Ltd and Auto Electrical Services, and he recalled that the task meant he was in regular contact with asbestos dust.

He also worked as a storeman at British Engines where engines and parts were repaired and tested. He believed he could have been exposed to asbestos used in processes in the machine shop.

During work at Electro Diesel, he remembered repairs being undertaken on ship components. While he was not directly involved in the work he was uncertain whether this would have led to asbestos exposure.

John’s son Philip said: “Dad’s health started to deteriorate earlier this year and we were devastated when we discovered he had mesothelioma. We’re still trying to come to terms with his death and we miss him everyday.

“We hope that by working with Irwin Mitchell we can get the answers regarding why this happened and whether more could have been done to protect him from harm. We would be hugely grateful if anyone who has any information which could help would come forward.”

Anyone with information about working conditions at any of the firm that John was working for should contact Kirstie Devine at Irwin Mitchell’s Newcastle office on 0191 279 0136 or e-mail kirstie.devine@irwinmitchell.com.