Family Of Former Power Station Worker Appeals For Help After Husband's Mesothelioma Death

Specialist Industrial Disease Lawyers Investigating Alum Rock Man’s Asbestos Exposure

25.03.2015

The heartbroken family of a former power station worker has instructed specialist lawyers at Irwin Mitchell to investigate how and where he was exposed to asbestos following his death from mesothelioma.

Roy Kent, from Alum Rock, Birmingham died at the age of 83 in September 2013, just six weeks after he was diagnosed with the incurable disease, which is caused by the inhalation of asbestos dust and fibres decades ago.

At a recent inquest, HM Coroner for Warwickshire returned a verdict of death by industrial disease and now his widow, Vera, who was married to Roy for 58 years, and their three children have instructed expert asbestos lawyers at Irwin Mitchell to investigate how Roy was exposed to the deadly substance.

Roy spent almost thirty years of his working life employed by the Midlands division of the Central Electricity Generating Board (CEGB) at the Nechells power station where it is believed he was exposed to asbestos.

Between 1958 and 1985 he was employed as a fitter and later a welder at the facility, working on boilers and pipes that were often lagged with asbestos, which would be disturbed during his work.

Although the station ceased operating in July 1982, Roy continued working on decommissioning the plant until leaving CEGB’s employment in August 1985. It is believed that this dismantling and decommissioning work may also have brought him into contact with deadly asbestos dust.

Vera, 79, is now appealing to his former colleagues at the Nechells power station to come forward with the information her legal team needs about the presence of asbestos at the facility, and what measures, if any, were in place to protect workers from inhaling the hazardous substance responsible for his death.

Mark Lennon, a specialist asbestos-related disease lawyer at Irwin Mitchell representing Roy’s family, said: 


Roy’s daughter Julie, 49, said: “We are completely devastated by my Dad’s death and we’re all struggling to come to terms with the fact it was caused by exposure to asbestos at work so many years ago. He and my mother spent almost 60 years together and she is absolutely heartbroken.

“She relied on him to care for her as she suffers with health problems and his death has left her very concerned about what the future holds. We all feel that we have been robbed of time we were looking forward to spending with Dad and hope that our legal team will help us find the answers we are looking for about his exposure to asbestos.

“Hopefully some of his friends and colleagues from Nechells power plant, where he spent almost 30 years working, will come forward with the information we need to build our legal case.”

Anyone who worked with Roy Kent at the Midlands division of the Central Electricity Generating Board (CEGB) at the Nechells power station, or with information on the presence of asbestos at the facility should contact Mark Lennon on 0121 203 5365 or email Mark.Lennon@IrwinMitchell.com