Family Says Holiday Was Ruined By Illness At Hotel

Law Firm Irwin Mitchell Issues Court Proceedings Against Tour Operator

15.07.2015

Expert travel lawyers at Irwin Mitchell acting on behalf of a family of five who say their holiday was ruined by ‘disgusting’ hygiene conditions at a Spanish hotel, which they believe caused them to fall ill, have issued court proceedings in a bid to help them gain justice.

Louise and Rowland Quinn, from Gateshead, reported rats running around the Bellevue Club Hotel in Alcudia and say they were served food covered in flies during their two-week holiday with their three children from 27 August to 8 September 2012.

Specialist travel lawyers at Irwin Mitchell who are representing the family have now issued legal proceedings against Tour operator Jet2holidays Limited  after members of the Quinn family suffered from fever, vomiting, diarrhoea and severe stomach cramps during their all-inclusive holiday to the hotel.

Rowland, 40, tested positive for Cryptosporidium - a microscopic parasite that causes gastric illnesses, by his GP on his return back home. Rowland and Louise’s children Will, 11, Alex, 9, and Anna, 4 also suffered illness while at the hotel.

Clare Pearson, a specialist travel lawyer at Irwin Mitchell said:

Expert Opinion
“The Quinn family suffered illness during their stay at the Bellevue Club Hotel that ruined their holiday and left them needing medical attention.

“Cryptosporidium can cause gastrointestinal illness which can lead to long term complications in some people. It can be prevented by following approved hygiene practices.

“We have already secured settlements for three members of the family who also stayed at the same resort and the tour operator has now formally admitted liability. We are working to resolve the claims for the remaining members of the Quinn family who fell ill."
Clare Pearson, Associate

Specialist travel lawyers at Irwin Mitchell who are representing the family have now issued legal proceedings against Tour Operator, Jet2holidays Limited.

Rowland, a supermarket night manager, who had to take time off work because of illness, added: “We were all really looking forward to a family holiday to mark the end of the school holidays, but not long after we arrived, we quickly realised it was not going to be the relaxing break we had hoped for.

“I was disgusted by how dirty parts of the hotel were and could not believe it when I saw rats in the grounds of the hotel, near the canteen and by the pool but the staff did not seem shocked or willing to do anything. The pool often looked cloudy and there was a distinctive unpleasant smell. We also noticed that sometimes there was litter around the poolside.

“Food in the restaurant was often cold and appeared to be re-used from earlier meals and some dishes were uncovered so flies could land on the food.

“Alex, Will, Anna and I started suffering horrible and severe symptoms of gastric illness with Will and Alex needing time off school.

“We are determined to see justice for the ordeal we endured and hope that Jet2Holidays will work with our lawyers at Irwin Mitchell so we can finally begin to move on and try and forget our ordeal.”