KFC Salmonella Case ‘Highlights Devastating Impact Of Food Poisoning’

Youngster Left With Brain Damage To Get Vital Funds


A recent Australian court ruling in favour of a girl left brain damaged by salmonella she contracted after eating a fast food meal demonstrates how serious food poisoning can potentially be for sufferers, according to an illness lawyer at Irwin Mitchell.

The relatives of Monika Samaan are expected to be awarded a multi-million dollar compensation package,  which will fund vital around-the-clock care and rehabilitation support that the youngster now needs, after she ate a “Twister” wrap at a KFC restaurant in 2005.

She was in a coma for six months after eating the meal, despite the rest of her family recovering from symptoms of diarrhoea and vomiting which they endured after sharing it.

In a Supreme Court judgement, it was ruled that the fast food company had breached its duty of care to the girl. The firm is expected to appeal the decision after it claimed evidence shows it did not cause the youngster’s disability.

Irwin Mitchell’s specialist illness team acts for victims who have been left with serious long-term health problems as a result of contracting salmonella and other serious bacterial infections in the UK and while on holidays abroad, including those who have seen their lives turned upside down by such issues.

Amandeep Dhillon, a Solicitor in the expert illness team at the firm, said: “This terrible story highlights the awful impact that food poisoning can have, with this being a particularly tragic example of the debilitating consequences it can have.

“One of the most disturbing aspects of this case is that salmonella can be avoided by following food storage guidance, proper cooking practices and recognised hygiene standards.

“We have represented a vast number of people in legal actions related to food poisoning and this kind of scenario highlights just why we continue to call for restaurants, hotels and holiday resort managers to ensure they are doing everything possible to keep their customers safe from any potential harm.

“As this shows, the dangers of failing to do so simply cannot be underestimated.”