Fire Crews Tackle Chemical Spill

Men Treated For Inhalation Of Paint Fumes


Two men have been treated for inhalation of fumes after emergency services were called in following a chemical spill at an industrial estate in Country Durham.

The incident occurred at the Aycliffe Industrial Business Park on Tuesday evening when a paint chemical began leaking from a ruptured drum on the back of a lorry.

David Turnbull, operations manager for the Durham and Darlington Fire and Rescue Service, said the 45-gallon drum burst when the vehicle braked sharply to avert an accident.

The leak was eventually sealed by crews from Darlington, Bishop Auckland and Newton Aycliffe, and two men were taken to hospital as a precaution.

Mr Turnbull said: "We dealt with this as we would any other 999 call - crews arrived and made sure the spill wasn't going any further.

"It was confined to the industrial site - we have isolated the leak and sealed it and the drums will be taken away this morning."

Copyright © Press Association 2010

David Urpeth at law firm Irwin Mitchell said: "A work accident involving a chemical spill can pose a hazard to both workers and residents alike. Depending on the chemicals involved, chemical exposure can pose a risk of injury PE even death. As such it is vital that workers are protected from exposure to harmful chemicals."