Man Burned In Scrapyard Blaze

Fire at work

10.07.2008

A fire at a scrap metal yard in Staffordshire has caused thousands of pounds worth of damage.

Six fire engines were called to tackle the blaze at Newhaden Metals in Cheadle and monitored the site overnight to prevent an acetylene cylinder from exploding. An aerial appliance was also used to tackle the flames.

One man was taken to hospital suffering from burns, and fire crews rescued two dogs which had been trapped in the yard.

The road was closed and a 200-metre exclusion zone put in place as a precaution.

The fire service said it was investigating but the blaze was not being treated as suspicious.

Copyright © PA Business 2008

David Urpeth from law firm Irwin Mitchell said: "This was a very serious industrial accident.

"Employers have a duty of care to ensure that workers are not injured at work. Accident prevention is essential to ensure that the high numbers of people injured in accidents at work are reduced.

"I represent many people who have been injured or killed in accidents at work including those injured in fires at work."