Man Falls Into Vat Of Cyanide

Accident at work


Fire crews have been called to a metal plating specialists after reports that a 62-year-old worker fell into a vat of diluted potassium cyanide.

The man, who is in a critical condition, was working for Karas Industries Ltd in Leigh, Greater Manchester when the accident occurred and was pulled from the vat by two colleagues.

After firefighters who attended the scene in chemical protection removed his clothes he was hosed down to remove the substance, which can cause fatal cardiac arrest if ingested, and taken to hospital.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) have opened an investigation into the incident.

David Urpeth, Partner at law firm Irwin Mitchell commented: "Whilst the circumstances of this tragic industrial accident are as yet not fully known it should be stated that employers have a duty to provide workers with a safe place and safe system of work.

"Sadly I represent many workers who have been injured or killed in workplace accidents where employers have failed in their duty to employees."