Justice After Gastric Illness Outbreak At Royal Park Hotel in Bulgaria

Justice After Gastric Illness Outbreak At Royal Park Hotel in Bulgaria

Irwin Mitchell’s International Personal Injury team helped nearly 300 holidaymakers who were left devastated as their holidays to Bulgaria were ruined by illness.

281 guests staying at the Royal Park Hotel in Bulgaria, in 2008, were struck by severe gastric illness. Not only did this sickness ruin their holidays but some holidaymakers have been left with permanent symptoms.

Compensation secured

Our travel experts managed to secure more than £500,000 for our clients, despite travel operator First Choice initially denying responsibility for their illnesses.

Some holidaymakers had to seek medical treatment when they returned to the UK, with more than 30 needing hospital attention.

Guests have described poor food hygiene standards and a lack of cleanliness at the resort. The tour reps were reportedly unhelpful and regular power cuts meant that fridges and freezers frequently stopped working.

Expert opinion

Amandeep Dhillon, a travel law specialist at Irwin Mitchell, said: “The Royal Park Hotel is currently advertised as a four-star establishment. Yet over several years, many holidaymakers have suffered gastric illnesses while staying there which is very concerning. Some continue to suffer from symptoms which have a serious and debilitating effect upon their daily lives.”

Irwin Mitchell had already settled around 100 claims for holidaymakers after they experienced illness at the Royal Park Hotel before this incident, with the compensation sums secured for clients in 2005, 2005 and 2007 equating to more than £200,000.

Stephen and Dianne’s story

Stephen and Dianne Molyneux, from Warrington, hoped to celebrate their honeymoon at the resort but were struck down by severe illness just three days into their stay. They had travelled to the hotel with their four children but they all fell ill and were left confined to their hotel room.

Stephen said: “Parts of the hotel were dirty and we were concerned about the hygiene standards in the restaurant. There were flies in some of the dishes and chicken was sometimes raw in the middle.

“Within three days we had all become so ill with sickness and diarrhoea that we basically just stayed in our room. They holiday was ruined. We are now just relieved that the matter is settled and we can finally begin to put this ordeal behind us.”

Tina and Paul’s illness

Tina and Paul Monk stayed at the Royal Park Hotel with their daughter Kayleigh just a week before their 25th wedding anniversary. Tina stated: “I’ve never known such poor attitudes from hotel staff, especially when things were so obviously wrong to us. We saw dirty crockery, cutlery and bed linen while food seemed like it was being re-heated and re-served on more than one occasion. A lot of the food was left uncovered so there were flies and insects buzzing around.

“We became ill just two days into the holiday but the tour reps still didn’t take our complaints seriously. Eventually we changed hotels but by then it was too late – our holiday and wedding anniversary were ruined.”

For general enquiries

0370 1500 100