Irwin Mitchell’s international personal injury experts helped to recover over £3 million in compensation for 652 holidaymakers whose stays at the Aguamar Hotel, in Majorca, were ruined by illness.
A staggering 521 guests at the resort became ill as a result of poor food hygiene standards, in 1997 and 1998. The holidaymakers suffered from unpleasant symptoms including vomiting and diarrhoea and at one point, so many people at the hotel were ill that doctors were knocking on room doors asking if holidaymakers needed help.
A number of guests were admitted to hospital in Palma and 162 were later diagnosed with Salmonella infections. More than 110 of the 652 holidaymakers went on to develop permanent Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) as a result of the infection they acquired on holiday.
Our specialist travel lawyers secured £3,071,000 in compensation for our clients and the tour operator, JMC Holidays Ltd, accepted that they were responsible for every claim. We helped one our clients obtain more than £38,500 for his severe illness.
Belinda Kavanagh stayed at the Aguamar Hotel with her family, on an all-inclusive holiday with JMC, in June 1998. Just three days into her holiday, Belinda became ill with severe gastric symptoms and her family became ill shortly afterwards. Hundreds of other guests also experienced illness during their stay, completely ruining their holiday.
Despite various complaints by guests relating to the poor standard of the food, the hotel manager, tour operator representatives and local doctor all insisted that the sickness was caused by a virus. Tests later proved this theory to be completely wrong as Belinda’s tests, and those of her children, showed that they were experiencing Salmonella poisoning.
Belinda has never regained full health and is likely to have life-long problems as a consequence of her holiday illness.
Back to Client Story