Compensation Awarded To Family Of Man Who Died From Exposure To Asbestos

Compensation Awarded To Family Of Man Who Died From Exposure To Asbestos

Irwin Mitchell has achieved a substantial settlement for the family of a 76-year-old man from Stafford who died from Mesothelioma, after being exposed to asbestos at work.

The settlement of £240,000 will compensate the family of Mr H, who was exposed to asbestos during his employment at GEC Measurements Ltd (now known as Alston T&D Protection & Control Ltd), based in Stafford.

Mr H was in the Royal Navy for many years, but came into contact with asbestos whilst working on contracts for GEC Measurements Ltd. During this employment, Mr H tested relay circuits and ensured that the electrics operated correctly.

The majority of his work was away from the main site, in electrical substations. The company had contracts all over the UK, as well as in countries such as Sudan, Hong Kong, Singapore and various countries in the Middle East.

Mr H frequently came into contact with asbestos insulated pipe work in locations including power stations, oil refineries and oil platforms. He also worked with circuit breakers which were fitted with flash guards made from asbestos and old relay circuits that were made with asbestos cord. Whilst working, Mr H inevitably disturbed the asbestos, causing dust to be released.

Sadly, Mr H had been in very good health before his asbestos related illness developed but became very ill in a short amount of time.

Mr H contacted Irwin Mitchell and was represented by industrial disease expert and associate solicitor at Irwin Mitchell’s Birmingham office, Iain Shoolbred. Mr H passed away soon after, but Ian was able to continue working on Mr H’s case and was successful in getting £240,000 in compensation for Mr H’s family.

For general enquiries

0370 1500 100