Six Figure Settlement For The Family Of A Deceased Mesothelioma Sufferer

Six Figure Settlement For The Family Of A Deceased Mesothelioma Sufferer

Irwin Mitchell’s specialised industrial disease team in Leeds has recovered a £235,000 in compensation for the family of a deceased man who contracted mesothelioma due to exposure to asbestos over the course of his employment.

The deceased, Mr B, worked as a maintenance electrician at Joshua Tetley’s Brewery on Hunslet Road in Leeds from 1977 to 1996. During his time there, he was regularly exposed to asbestos lagged boilers and pipes. He was also regularly required to remove and drill through ceiling tiles which were made from asbestos and to cut up asbestos boards when wiring and laying computer cabling. He remembered his overalls being covered in dust at the end of a shift and having to sweep himself down. Mr B was never told by his employer, Tetley’s, about the dangers of breathing in asbestos dust and he was never provided with any sort of face mask or protection.

Mr B had no idea of the effects of asbestos until he began to experience breathing difficulties in August 2009, in fact, even when he had been diagnosed with mesothelioma, it took him some time to recall when and where he might have been exposed.

Mr B instructed Mitchell’s specialist industrial disease team and one of our experienced solicitors, Ian Toft, was able to deal with his claim. After negotiations Tetley’s insurers admitted that they were in breach of their duty of care to Mr B and had in fact exposed him to dangerous levels of asbestos.

After a long and difficult fight against the disease, supported by his wife of 45 years, his two daughters and his grandchildren Mr B sadly passed away in October 2010. The post mortem confirmed that he had died from mesothelioma, caused by exposure to high levels of asbestos. The Defendant subsequently agreed to pay Mr B’s family £235,000 in compensation.

As part of the damages, £28,925 was recovered in respect of care provided to Mr B by St Gemma’s Hospice in Leeds. Mrs B was able to hand over the cheque to the Hospice to thank them for their help and support during such a difficult time.

For general enquiries

0370 1500 100