Our client was hospitalised after a pharmacy mistakenly gave him a chemotherapy medication.
Our client had been taking an immunorepressant drug for several years following a kidney transplant in 2005. In August 2009, he collected his prescription from the pharmacy as normal and proceeded to take the medication as usual.
A few days later, his face became red and sore. The rash began to spread onto his arms and chest and he felt very ill. He was taken to York Accident and Emergency hospital where tests failed to conclude the cause of his symptoms.
Our client returned home only to become more unwell, experiencing mouth ulcers, which prevented him from eating, nausea, diarrhoea, dehydration and worsening of the rash. He was taken back to York hospital. Over two stays at the hospital, he received IV fluids, antibiotics and monitoring of his renal functioning. Analysis of his medication found he had in fact been taking chemotherapy mediation, wrongly labelled as his medication by the pharmacy.
Margaret Ryan of Irwin Mitchell’s Clinical Negligence Team in Leeds represented him and managed to secure £11,000 in damages for the time off work he had to take and the pain and suffering he experienced.
Back to Client Story