Irwin Mitchell’s specialised industrial disease team has helped an 89 year old man recover £100,000 in compensation after extended exposure to asbestos over the course of his working life.
Mr P was employed by the Central Electricity Generating Board (CEGB) as a general manager between about 1947 and 1983. He was tasked to monitor electricity supplies across the West Midlands region. He spent a great deal of time in power stations and many of these power stations were under construction during this period.
Mr P’s work revolved around testing and assessing electrical supply systems. This involved supervision of the installation of systems and testing of components. During the course of this work Mr P was exposed to asbestos dust and fibres and he was never told that asbestos was dangerous and never given a mask to wear.
In June 2010 Mr P first experienced significant symptoms attributable to his asbestos related mesothelioma including progressive breathlessness, pain, weight loss and general debility.
Towards the end of January 2012 Mr P decided to contact Irwin Mitchell’s specialised industrial disease team and experienced solicitor, Satinder Bains, was able to investigate the claim against his former employer, CEGB. An admission of liability was secured within a few short months and the case was successfully settled and Mr P received £100,000 compensation.
Satinder Bains, from the Birmingham office of national law firm Irwin Mitchell, who represented Mr P, explained: “it was important to work very quickly and undertake immediate investigations. My principle objective was to pursue the claim on behalf of Mr P with diligence and speed to secure settlement."
Back to Client Story