A self-employed 73-year-old caterer has received £65,000 in an out of Court settlement following an accident at work at premises owned by the Defendant, which she was visiting to cater for an event for the Defendant.
Mrs X sustained significant burns to her body and an injury to her shoulder when a work surface with hot deep fat fryers collapsed. The surface had apparently rotted, causing the fryers to fall, pouring extremely hot oil over her and the floor. This meant that that Mrs X, as well as having oil pour over her, slipped over sustaining further burns and injury to her shoulder. Mrs X was in hospital for a long period of time and had to go undergo extensive and painful surgery and treatment.
Liability for the accident was denied but settlement was negotiated after Court proceedings had been issued.
The claim was settled by Rebecca Hearsey, Associate Solicitor of the Birmingham Office of Irwin Mitchell. She said "This was an accident which could have been avoided by proper inspection and maintenance of this kitchen over which Mrs X had no control. It is of paramount importance, that the safety of kitchens with very hot substances is seen as essential in ensuring the safety of workers. Had this accident been avoided the horror, pain, scarring and distress experienced by Mrs X, and the long term consequences of such injuries, would never have happened."
Back to Client Story