What We Do
Our experienced planning team provides legal advice to a wide range of clients on the complexities of the town and country planning regime, affecting development and regeneration proposals.
We understand how important planning and other regulatory consents are to the delivery of projects, and provide both legal and practical advice to our clients. We advise clients on transactional and regulatory matters, as well as litigious issues relating to development and regeneration including large, complex residential and mixed use projects, as well as planning and enforcement appeals and High Court challenges.
Our planning lawyers have a range of expertise, including:
- Drafting and negotiating planning and related infrastructure agreements
- Preparation for and project management of major planning inquiries (planning and/or enforcement appeals)
- Strategic and tactical advice on the promotion of development projects
- Advice on modification and release of planning conditions
- Environmental impact assessment - legal review
- High court proceedings and judicial review
- Renewable energy
- Infrastructure advice
- Promoting or opposing compulsory purchase orders
- Minerals and waste
- Enforcement liability
- Listed buildings/conservation area controls
- Tree Preservation Orders
- Community Infrastructure Levy
How We Can Help
Our specialist team provide pragmatic, commercial and highly focused advice amidst a very technical area of the law.
The complex nature of our work means that we are used to dealing with joint ventures between landowners and/or developers. We can help with regeneration schemes and strategic land developments where multiple landowners are involved, and have detailed knowledge of complex section 106 agreements.
We provide a broad range of planning law advice to:
- Property Developers
- Land owners
- Land promoters
- Banks and investors
- Major retailers
- House builders
- Leisure operators
- Local authorities
- Government agencies
- Housing associations
The breadth of our experience means we can assist with projects of all sizes. Time is precious when it comes to planning – we always aim to deliver to your timetable and go the extra mile to make the project happen. We work closely with clients to overcome planning obstacles to development and, if instructed at an early stage, can work with you to anticipate and prevent problems arising.
Recent Planning Deals
- Advised a developer on a major mixed use development comprising 2,000 dwellings and over 100,000m2 of commercial development, together with significant community infrastructure provision;
- Acted for a national house builder on a proposed urban extension of approximately 1,000 dwellings together with associated infrastructure.
"Oliver Martin heads the team at Irwin Mitchell, which is praised for its 'excellent response times'."
Legal 500, 2013
"[Oliver] is readily contactable, reliable and a good strategic thinker. He is very experienced and knowledgeable regarding detailed Section 106 drafting matters."
Chambers & Partners, 2014