WHAT WE DO
There is growing pressure for businesses to bear the cost of investigating themselves, through what is known as an ‘internal investigation’.
This can help avoid any investigations by external agencies, which can take time and disrupt your business.
Our team are experts in corporate investigations and can help you conduct an internal investigation, or assist you when responding to a regulator or law enforcement agency.
WHY CHOOSE IRWIN MITCHELL?
Our expert team help many individuals and firms to conduct an internal investigation of their company, as well as advising on the various response options available to any external regulators and law enforcement agencies. We regularly come into contact with The Serious Fraud Office (SFO), the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) and the Dept for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy (BEIS).
If consulted early enough, we can also assist with internal audits, training and provide compliance advice to prevent a company becoming the victim of financial crime.
We can help you with:
- Reporting to prosecutors and regulators
- A deferred prosecution agreement
- Responding to compulsory information requests
- Understanding the conduct of an internal investigation
- Establishing whether there has been any unlawful conduct
- Gaining immunity from prosecution (if possible)
- Undertaking civil action to recover any losses
If you wish to conduct an internal investigation, or need help to avoid an external investigation, you should seek immediate expert legal advice.
Our team of business crime solicitors have recently acted for the following:
- An overseas sales agent: responding to a UK/US principal’s internal investigation concerning bribery and corruption concerns.
- Several bankers: interviewed in internal investigations relating to LIBOR and related benchmark investigations.
- A European financial services firm: responding to a skilled person investigation appointed by the Financial Conduct Authority.
"Paul Haycock has vast experience of defending financial crime, fraud and regulatory investigations." - Legal 500, 2016
“An excellent firm. They are very responsive to clients’ needs, very proactive and they add value significantly to the preparation and conduct of the case.” - Chambers & Partners, 2016.
Paul Haycock “has particular experience in defending large or complex criminal investigations and prosecutions.” - Legal 500, 2015.
"(Irwin Mitchell has an) impressive experience of handling cases involving market abuse and tax fraud. (They are) regularly sought after to defend insider dealing charges brought by the former Financial Services Authority." - Chambers & Partners, 2014.
"(Irwin Mitchell are) top of the league for fraud work" and have "has built up a strong track-record, advising individuals across a range of high-profile regulatory actions including insider-trading, LIBOR and FOREX." - Legal 500, 2014.
Paul Haycock is recommended for his "cool head in difficult situations." - Legal 500, 2014.