WHAT WE DO
Business owners, directors and high-level individuals need to ensure that adequate processes are in place to guard against breaches of the Bribery Act 2010 and other related legislation. Failure to do so could lead to investigation.
Our bribery lawyers provide expert advice and representation for individuals and corporates, whether they are under investigation or need assistance complying with legislation. The Bribery Act 2010 is wide-reaching and a breach can lead to personal and corporate criminal liability, with potential sanctions including fines and/or imprisonment.
The UK Serious Fraud Office (SFO) is particularly keen to prosecute breaches of the bribery legislation and the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) has taken regulatory enforcement action against firms that did not guard against breaches.
We can assist you with:
We can help you whether you are a witness, investigator, victim or suspect.
WHY CHOOSE IRWIN MITCHELL?
An investigation can be extremely stressful. Not only is the reputation of your firm at stake, but your own reputation can also be damaged.
Our expert bribery lawyers regularly work with directors, high level individuals and the firms they represent.
We provide cost effective, tactical and realistic advice to anyone fearing or currently under investigation. We also work with our other expert teams, specialising in employment and pensions, as well as corporate and civil litigation where required. If investigations span different jurisdictions, we can also work alongside legal teams overseas.
Any individual or business, whether national or international, can be caught up in an investigation. If you are being investigated for corruption, or are looking to avoid this, you should seek immediate legal advice.
Our expert team of bribery lawyers have recently represented the following clients:
- A retail industry company director under criminal prosecution by the Serious Fraud Office for corruption.
- An overseas distribution and sales agent for a UK/US manufacturer, in relation to an internal investigation for anti-bribery and corruption controls.
- A senior manager who was interviewed under compulsion by the Serious Fraud Office in relation to allegations of overseas bribery and corruption by his former employers.
- A journalist under investigation in connection with Operation Elvedon (corrupt payments to public officials).
- A senior manager of an overseas security print firm under police investigation for money laundering, relating to an alleged corrupt payment to an intermediary in Africa.
- A broker under FCA investigation for making unlawful payments and gifts to a hedge fund trader, as a reward for stockbroking business being referred.
"Paul Haycock has vast experience of defending financial crime, fraud and regulatory investigations." - Legal 500, 2016
“An excellent firm. They are very responsive to clients’ needs, very proactive and they add value significantly to the preparation and conduct of the case.” - Chambers & Partners, 2016.
Paul Haycock “has particular experience in defending large or complex criminal investigations and prosecutions.” - Legal 500, 2015.
"(Irwin Mitchell has an) impressive experience of handling cases involving market abuse and tax fraud. (They are) regularly sought after to defend insider dealing charges brought by the former Financial Services Authority." - Chambers & Partners, 2014.
"(Irwin Mitchell are) top of the league for fraud work." - Legal 500, 2014.
Paul Haycock is recommended for his "cool head in difficult situations." - Legal 500, 2014.